[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Dennis Leeuw dleeuw at made-it.com
Wed Mar 13 01:17:14 PDT 2013

Hi Kai,

I am still trying to figure this all out, but I think you are having the
same problem I had. With version 1.6 the BrowsePoll directive and
friends is gone. It means that only mDNS and DNS-SD are supported. mDNS
(multicast) only works within a network not across routers. If you have
one big network add the printers to AVAHI (if your server is a Linux
machine).

In a multi-network environment where multi-cast is not an option
(allowed) you should use DNS-SD. Meaning you have to add "printer
support" to DNS. I am working on documenting this, maybe it is of help
to you too:
http://pig.made-it.com/cups-dns-sd.html
The page gives an initial overview

A more detailed description of the printer settings in DNS can be found in:
http://pig.made-it.com/printing.html
See the section about Mac OS X

If I talk nonsense there is probably someone on this list that will
correct me.

Greetings,

Dennis