[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Wed Mar 13 01:33:16 PDT 2013

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for offering to help.

On 13 March 2013 16:16, Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw at made-it.com> wrote:
> I am still trying to figure this all out, but I think you are having the
> same problem I had. With version 1.6 the BrowsePoll directive and

So what was this previous "BrowsePoll" called ?  This I assume the
mechanism I was using before but no longer works.

> friends is gone. It means that only mDNS and DNS-SD are supported. mDNS
> (multicast) only works within a network not across routers. If you have
> one big network add the printers to AVAHI (if your server is a Linux
> machine).

Yes, we only have one subnet here. We don't need the across routers
(IIUC "multi-network") use case.

My client has a "Ricoh Aficio SP3510DN network printer with built in
IPP server", and now I can't seem to detect it. I'm wondering how I
can typically detect it. Do I need Avahi with Bonjour nowadays?

Thanks again,