[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Mar 13 08:14:07 PDT 2013

Kai,

On 2013-03-13, at 6:10 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com> wrote:
> I need the UX where detected printers just appear in the print dialog.

I have talked a bit with a few folks to see what we can do here in the long run; currently client software has to "opt in" to the new dynamic CUPS destination API, but perhaps we can start a thread in libcups that just maintains a current list of available printers - we would need to start it when cupsGetDests is called the first time (and give it a few seconds to populate the list), and then possibly provide a separate function that could be called to start or stop this thread independently.

Unfortunately, applications like Firefox think it is OK to dynamically load and unload libcups, so we need to be very careful to avoid having such applications crash.