[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 14 07:37:54 PDT 2013

Kai,

On 2013-03-14, at 1:21 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com> wrote:
> On 13 March 2013 23:09, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>> As for breaking things, if you are running an old CUPS without IPP/2.0 support (anything older than 1.4) then you'll need the changes coming in 1.6.2 to specify that the server only does IPP/1.1 ("ServerName host-or-ip/version=1.1").
>
> Ok, now I'm trying to get a network printer (Ricoh Aficio SP3510DN)
> working with a CUPS 1.5 client. How do I work out which version of IPP
> this Ricoh printer is running? Its IP is 192.168.1.6. I can telnet to
> its port 631. I did try lpstat and snmpwalk, and I didn't get results.
> Perhaps I am not running them with the correct switches?

You can't point ServerName to a printer, just to a CUPS server.

When you setup a print queue the best way is using Bonjour - then the discovery provides all of the necessary information.  Otherwise you might try looking on the printer's web page or print a network configuration page from the control panel to see what URI to use.

>> I didn't think Avahi needed Python to work by itself; perhaps this is a distro packaging issue?  In any case, you can also install mDNSResponder (the "other" free software mDNS stack from Apple) which definitely does not have these dependencies.
>
> Where can I find the sources for this? If there is a lightweight
> version of what Avahi does, I'm interested in integrating it into
> Webconverger. :-)

Search for "mDNSResponder source code", which will take you to:

    http://www.opensource.apple.com/tarballs/mDNSResponder/