[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 14 08:21:45 PDT 2013

Kai,

On 2013-03-14, at 11:09 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com> wrote:
> On 14 March 2013 22:59, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>> Yes, although that type of deployment is 100% unsupported because printers.conf and the location of PPD files are implementation (and site configuration) details.  A better approach is to provide a shell script that "extracts" the PPD to a temporary file and uses the lpadmin command to add the printer.
>

> Do you have an example for me to use as a guide please?

#!/bin/sh
cat >tempfile-$$.ppd <<EOF
CONTENTS OF PPD GO HERE
EOF
lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://foo/bar -i tempfile-$$.ppd
rm -f tempfile-$$.ppd

> The PPD 9 times out of 10 is hopefully is going to be a generic
> postscript template hopefully, right?

It will be whatever the printer requires.  If it is a shared CUPS printer then use "-m raw" instead of a local PPD, otherwise use whatever PPD is stored in /etc/cups/ppd on your "test" system or use "lpinfo -m" to locate a suitable driver on the system.