[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Thu Mar 14 09:09:11 PDT 2013

On 14 March 2013 23:21, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> #!/bin/sh
> cat >tempfile-$$.ppd <<EOF
> CONTENTS OF PPD GO HERE
> EOF
> lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://foo/bar -i tempfile-$$.ppd
> rm -f tempfile-$$.ppd

Ok this looks promising. I can avoid the "Add printer..." phase by
scripting this on boot. However I need to get the ipp:// address from
my client in advance. And my client on site doesn't seem to know it
and I can't figure it out myself remotely.

There is no command I can (I can ask my client to) issue on telnet to
reveal the ipp:// address? I know the IP, just not the fully qualified
ipp:// URL.

>> The PPD 9 times out of 10 is hopefully is going to be a generic
>> postscript template hopefully, right?
>
> It will be whatever the printer requires.  If it is a shared CUPS printer then use "-m raw" instead of a local PPD, otherwise use whatever PPD is stored in /etc/cups/ppd on your "test" system or use "lpinfo -m" to locate a suitable driver on the system.

Understood, though I was hoping I could assume that most network
printers are postscript compatible. I guess I can assume nothing
nowadays. ;)

http://www.ricoh-usa.com/downloads/popup/popup_manuals_drivers_download.aspx?path=http%3a%2f%2fsupport.ricoh.com%2fbb%2fhtml%2fdr_ut_e%2frc2%2fmodel%2fsp35%2fsp35en.htm

Thanks again. This is really helpful.