[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Thu Mar 14 09:14:19 PDT 2013

On 14 March 2013 23:15, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> The point of the new APIs is to allow client software to discover and use printers or shared print queues directly.  The only time you really need to have a local queue is for printers that can't handle PDF directly.

Sidenote: When you say "printers that can't handle PDF directly", you
mean can't handle postscript? IIRC PDF is a subset of PostScript.

> There are some printers on the market today (more coming) that can be used directly. There are some application-specific issues to take care of (retry if the printer is busy), but printing direct can be done, especially for casual printing.

So these new printers implement the new CUPS 1.6 APIs if I understand
you correctly? Can you name a model for an example? I wonder what
moniker this appears under in their brochure.

> For a printer you use regularly, you probably want a local queue (even if it is just a passthrough queue to the remote server/printer) so that you can queue up multiple jobs, manage those jobs, etc. since most printers don't support queueing of jobs...

Well, every instance of Webconverger has a local CUPS server running,
so that's the local queue taken care of, right?

Kind regards,