[cups.general] Auto-detecting PDF orientation for auto-rotation

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Tue Mar 19 22:21:13 PDT 2013

Hi there,

I have a customer whose users print a lot of PDFs, however those users
cannot be expected to manually set the orientation of the Print
dialog.
https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/765871/274044/58358202-9047-11e2-8915-397269186484.png

So I am looking for a solution whereby PDFs are auto-rotated.

Tbh I'm not entirely sure who should be doing the auto-rotation
transform. The PDF viewer? CUPS itself? The individual PPD driver? The
printer itself?

After Googling a bit, it seems that the cups-filter
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf  might be upto the job. However IIUC,
the PPD needs to have a rule to use this filter?

I'm using a cups-pdf configured printer and I'm printing a landscape
PDF from epdfview. This is what the PPD looks like:
http://s.natalian.org/2013-03-20/Virtual_PDF_Printer.ppd

How do I modify it so that PDFs are auto-rotated depending on their orientation?

I did also notice https://github.com/smilingthax/pdfautorotate though
again I'm not sure how to integrate this.

Thanks for any pointers in advance,