Printer configuration with "Dept. ID"

Raymond Wan rwan at cuhk.edu.hk
Fri Mar 22 00:09:18 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure CUPS to work with a printer in the office.  It prints fine under Windows, but nothing happens under Linux/CUPS.  The job is spooled, but there is an error.

I think the reason is that, under Windows, I need to add a 4-digit password that is assigned to each person.  Under Windows 7, it is under Job type | Department Counter | Department ID | Input when printing.  I'm not sure if these options are specific to Windows 7 or part of the printer's Windows drivers.  Obviously, it is a way of keeping track how many pages each person has printed.

I can't find the equivalent option/field in the CUPS (v1.6.1) menus.  Of course, I may not be able to print for an entirely different reason, but at the very least, I should need to supply a password and as I haven't yet, I'm guessing this is the first problem I need to overcome...

Any help on this problem would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Ray