[cups.general] Printer configuration with "Dept. ID"

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 22 04:44:28 PDT 2013

Helge,

On Mar 22, 2013, at 5:05 AM, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at acm.org> wrote:
> AFAIK, cups currently does not support "secure printing" as you descibed. If
> you really cannot afford to disable this for Linux printing, drop me an e-
> mail for a description of how to get the information to mimik secure
> printing for at least a limited number of different "users" on Linux (h dot
> blischke at acm dot org).

To be clear, CUPS *does* support secure/PIN printing with IPP, just not with arbitrary printer-specific solutions that require a special driver or PPD.

Depending on how this is implemented, you *may* be able to just add an option to the PPD file to inject the PostScript or PJL commands.  Many office machine PPDs do this already, in fact.