[cups.general] IPP everywhere printers

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 22 10:03:38 PDT 2013

Kai,

On 2013-03-21, at 12:15 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com> wrote:
> I found http://pwg-wiki.wikispaces.com/IPP+Everywhere. Though I cannot
> find any printer hardware supporting IPP Everywhere. What am I
> missing? I'm actually interested in purchasing a printer supporting
> this standard.

IPP Everywhere was just approved this last January.  You'll probably start seeing printers that support it in the fall...

> I wonder if IPP everywhere will support crazy printer dialog features
> like users being able to select "confidential" watermarking and such.

IPP defines a Job Template attribute called "imposition-template" that technically could be used to implement a drawn "watermark".  However, that attribute is not one of the required IPP Everywhere Job Template attributes.

That said, drawn watermarks are almost always better done on the client since it is in a better position to know how, where, and when to place the watermark, and doing it on the client side means you get the same functionality on all printers, regardless of capability.

> Nowadays I see printing as more of a archival type action. I wish the
> end format wasn't necessarily PDF, though I guess it serves its
> purpose well, for now. I would prefer printers able to support (open)
> Web standards with CSS print. Container format something like zipped
> up widgets. A pipe dream, I know.
> http://dabase.com/blog/PDF-A_versus_HTML/

The problem with things like XHTML-Print is that HTML is not a good format for preserving layout and content.  And in particular there is no accepted standard for "web archives", nor are the existing software archivers particularly great at dealing with hyperlinks and dynamic content...

For all of its warts, PDF is still the best of the current bunch of page-based content formats when you need to preserve layout and content.