Printer configuration with "Dept. ID"

Raymond Wan rwan at cuhk.edu.hk
Sat Mar 23 09:36:43 PDT 2013

Hi Michael,

> On Mar 22, 2013, at 5:05 AM, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at acm.org> wrote:
> > AFAIK, cups currently does not support "secure printing" as you descibed. If
> > you really cannot afford to disable this for Linux printing, drop me an e-
> > mail for a description of how to get the information to mimik secure
> > printing for at least a limited number of different "users" on Linux (h dot
> > blischke at acm dot org).
>
> To be clear, CUPS *does* support secure/PIN printing with IPP, just not with arbitrary printer-specific solutions that require a special driver or PPD.
>
> Depending on how this is implemented, you *may* be able to just add an option to the PPD file to inject the PostScript or PJL commands.  Many office machine PPDs do this already, in fact.

Thanks for the follow-up to Helge!  Does the option have a name in the PPD file that I can search for?  The Linux system is a single-user system (just me) so, if needed, I can make the change in the system-level PPD file.  That's not a problem.

I took a quick look at anything "secure"-like in the PPD file and this is the only thing that comes up:

*% ============================================================================
*% ==== Secure options (include Nup paper margin for Windows)
*% ============================================================================
*OpenUI *PASecurity/Secure: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 1.0 DocumentSetup *PASecurity
*DefaultPASecurity: None
*PASecurity None/None: ""
*PASecurity MailBox/Mailbox: "
%MTMailBox:
"
*End
*PASecurity SecurityBox/Secure Mailbox: "
%MTMailBox:
%MTPassword:
"
*End
*CloseUI: *PASecurity

Doesn't seem like the same thing...  Putting some of the terms above in Google isn't coming up with anything ... very odd, actually.

Thank you for your help!

Ray