[cups.general] cups-pdf device URI?

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Sat Mar 23 22:47:36 PDT 2013

Hi there,

I'm spending a lot of time debugging printing between a bridged
Virtualhost "client" running my OS Webconverger (CUPS 1.5) and my
Archlinux host running CUPS-PDF (CUPS 1.6). If you have any tips for
debugging, please let me know.

Main issue I have, is that I don't know what the "device URI" on my
cups-pdf printer is.
http://s.natalian.org/2013-03-24/1364103606_1366x768.png
It's shared, so how would my "client" be configured to use this,
without using client.conf?

When I use client.conf, I get a number of strange issues. Like the
printer sometimes not showing up at all.
I can see the printer / device URI from localhost:631 (of the client)
or the printer dialog.
I also run into this "getting printer information failed" issue. I'm
not sure if this is GTK or CUPS issue, but it's very annoying.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS_printer_sharing#Can.27t_print_with_GTK_applications
Fix is to put the hostname of my machine "x220" in the client's /etc/hosts.

Many thanks,