CUPS,HPLIP,Avahi, and AirPrint

Andre Powell apowell656 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 18:09:18 PDT 2013

I have CUPS 1.6.1 running via Arch Linux on an Arm device using an HP Photosmart C4280. I have had to install the driver locally on each device one Mac and two Windows computers or the printer will send the job to the printer but it never starts.

I have also followed several guides on the internet to get my non AirPrint printer to broadcast and receive jobs. This worked well one time, but I am not sure if the update to 6.1 broke this or if something is wrong with CUPS. Now what happens is a job goes through, but I only receive a blank page. I am at a loss of what to do to troubleshoot and correct this issue. I have asked in the ArchLinux Arm forums with no success and hope that I can at least get pointed in the right direction for a fix.

I am also curious if there would be a way to:

1) Create a Virtual PDF printer to send the job to via AirPrint
2) Write a bash script that would check for pdfs, via a cron job, and forward those files to the actual printer

as a workaround.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

- AP