[cups.general] Printing from iOS6 -- IPP Read Error

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Sun Mar 24 18:56:25 PDT 2013

First my apologies, CUPS 1.3.7 user here, I hope someone has mercy and still bothers to reply to my question even though I guess it'd be super-simple to say "upgrade to 1.6 and you're good"... Well, let me try anyhow:

I recently recognized that my iOS 6 devices can not print to cups/avahi (up2date CentOS 5.9 box, CUPS 1.3.7 as said) while iOS 5 devices work without problem. After much googling I found out that iOS6 expects cups to support the urf file type (whatever that is, it seems to, for now, just send a pdf file and call it urf). Then I  implemented this (in short, informed the clients that urf is avail):
 http://thepoch.com/tumblr/get-linux-airprint-working-again-for-ios-6.html <http://thepoch.com/tumblr/get-linux-airprint-working-again-for-ios-6.html>
with the following changes:
- Put the airprint.* files to /etc/cups
- in airprint.convs, replace pdftoraster with pdftops (pdftoraster filter doesn't exist here, airprint-generate.py otherwise fails)

and then figured from here:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.phpt=2060594&p=12260809#post12260809 <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.phpt=2060594&p=12260809#post12260809>
that the URF=none should be changed to URF=DM3. So I manually did this in the *.service files and finally, the printers get detected by iOS6!

However, printing still doesn't work on iOS6. On iOS5 everything still works fine, but on iOS6 it gets aborted with "Error". The only suspicious thing I find in server logs is in /var/log/cups/error_log:
 cupsdReadClient: 8 IPP Read Error!

Any idea what that could be and how to fix it; as said, I'd like to try and stay with the distros CUPS version, starting to roll my own RPMs or even installing from source is not really my favorite on a production machine...

Tnx a lot!

--
Composed on my tablet. Apologies for typos.