After Compiling unaltered CUPS 1.6.2, cannot run due to "undefined symbol: _ppdOpenFile"

jothay at jothay.com jothay at jothay.com
Wed Mar 27 14:34:54 PDT 2013

Background:
I downloaded CUPS 1.6.2 for installation into an Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS x64 Virtual Machine. This will be used as a print server and it came with 1.5.3. I'm working to have it use MIT Kerberos with my Domain and Active Directory. We have specialized software that will be added to the server to track other things, but I haven't set that up yet.

Ran the following (as root):
# ./configure --enable-openssl --enable-debug
Everything looked fine
# make
Everything looked fine
# make install
Everything looked fine
# /usr/sbin/cupsd
cupsd: Child exited with status 127
Uh oh....
# /usr/sbin/cupsd -f
/usr/sbin/cupsd: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/cupsd: undefined symbol: _ppdOpenFile

How do I fix this against the base install? If I can get past this, I can start looking at my custom configs.