Question about cupsRasterReadPixels !!

Anmol Kumar anmol.kumar at drishinfo.com
Fri Mar 29 23:03:26 PDT 2013

Dear Cups Team !!

I have an experience with CUPS printer driver development for EPSON based DMP printers.

Now we have some project where the emulation technology used is different to EPSON. A lot of commands has been changed even the raster algorithm has been changed.

So, I started the development assuming rastertoepson as base for understanding and writing code for this new filter. Now I do have some questions...

1) Starting from main function, going for command line arguments fd = 0 works  and  cupsRasterOpen() successful.

2) ppdOpenFile() is also successful.

3) Setup() function is initializing printer ( I removed and tried with printer specific command)

4)Now enter into :: while(cupsRasterReadHeader2(ras, &header))

5) StartPage has page formatting options :: I removed all those

Question is it necessary to define all those parameters... surely I'll add all those later one. First I want to print the image formatting would be done later on.

6) Now cupsRasterReadPixels is also successful and reading data of one line.
Question :: Is it able to print that data directly or I have to process as per EPSON's algo which is very complicated one. And can't say what is exactly happening inside.

7) My printer processes 6 lower bits at a time for graphics mode.

8) which all is going to happen into OutputLine functtion.

9) Not going to use any compression algo during this stage.

My target is to print first and later on work for speed and page formatting options.

Welcome in case of any guidance.