[cups] lp's "orientation-requested" issue | RHEL 6

vivek kar karvivek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:20:43 PDT 2014

Hi,

I was trying to use lp's "-o orientation-requested=6" as below, I
could see there is no effect on the orientation requested in RHEL 6
for PDF documents. But the command works for text documents.

lp -d myqueue -o orientation-requested=6 some.pdf

The above command does not change orientation of PDF document in CUPS
1.3.7 (RHEL 5.9) CUPS 1.4.2 (RHEL 6). However the same command CHANGES
the orientation in CUPS 1.4.3 (Ubuntu 10.04)

So, my assumption was that this might be working in higher CUPS
versions. So, I have downloaded the cups-1.4.8 source and compiled and
build for RHEL6 successfully. I installed CUPS-1.4.8 but still the
command did not work in RHEL 6.

Hence, my questions are,

1) Does "orientation-requested" option only works in UBUNTU or debian
based systems alone?

2) In RHEL 6 system, do we have to change some configuration so that
"orientation-requested" option works?

Kindly suggest.

Regards,
-Vivek