[cups] Question with printing large PDF files

Jamie Warren JWarren at starrett.com
Tue Aug 5 10:43:42 PDT 2014

Hello,

We are printing some large pdf files from Oracle by issuing a shell
script to print a file.  The print command is very basic with the $
being parameters from the Oracle program. The pdf files are generated
from an autocad program and stored on a network drive that we have
mapped over to.  We are printing to new HP printers and they will not
handle these pdf files.  The printer hangs up when there is too much
color or shading.  I just down loaded and installed the latest Linux
driver for HP and that has helped some but still not getting all the
files.

Does anyone know of a way to get these files to print without hanging up
the printers?

I thought maybe using the pdftops but that appears to just create a new
file which we do not want to do.

lpr -o fitplot -P $fprnt -# $fcpy $fpath/$fname

Thank you,

Jamison Warren

Oracle Database Administrator

L.S. Starrett Co.