[cups] Question with printing large PDF files

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Aug 5 17:36:24 PDT 2014

JW> We are printing to new HP printers and they will not handle these
JW> pdf files.

If the pdf files themselves are getting sent to the printers, and fail
there, the backup option is to send pcl or raster files instead.

Cups can be configured to do that.  It then would use ghostscript to
render the pdf files.

If the printers are the most recent generation and are home- or office-
class printers they should support pwg raster files.

The large plotters (designjet, iirc) may not.  I've not had access to
any of those to determine their capabilities.

An easy test would be to manually call gs with -sDEVICE= choosing
devices such as pxlcolor, pxlmono, cljet5, lj5gray or lj5mono for the
various pcl formats and then try printing with the -o raw option.

I'd try with just a single page pdf first, to avoid wasting paper and
toner.

OTOH, if the pdfs are already being rendered by cups, the above won't
help.

What does /etc/cups/printers.conf look like for one of the printers?
And the matching file in /etc/cups/ppd/?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6