[cups] Unable to select a workstation printer driver for network raw printer

John Lawton john at lawton.me.uk
Thu Aug 7 06:25:00 PDT 2014

I have a small office with a Linux server which has a USB printer
installed and a new workstation with a fresh install of Kubuntu
14.04. The server is configured using Samba as a Windows printer with
a RAW driver. My Windows clients work fine using their local printer
driver for this printer (a Dell 1320c).

The workstation detects the raw printer on my Linux server, calling
it a 'Remote Printer'
The problem is that the workstation Settings, Printer GUI tool,
Configure button won't allow a printer driver to be added when using
the Remote Printer on the server - the Driver selection is greyed out.

I have managed to install a suitable Linux printer driver on my
workstation which works if I test it by plugging the printer in as a
local USB printer.

(BTW, I've tried using http://localhost:631 the local CUPS server
which doesn't help either, sending me off to the Linux server CUPS
server, aargh!).

So how should I configure my workstation to use its driver PPD file
with the network printer? Currently it 'thinks' the network printer
has a driver on the server, but as it is a RAW printer, printing
fails.  A command line method might be required unless the GUI tool
functionality can be unlocked :)

John