[cups] Unable to select a workstation printer driver for network raw printer

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Aug 7 16:59:20 PDT 2014

On Thursday 07 August 2014 19:03:59 John Lawton did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi Gene,
>
> thanks for your reply. I don't know about FQDN access, but it seems
> to me my current server setup must be fine as it has worked for
> literally years with Windows XP and Windows 7 workstations and my
> previous Kubuntu workstation.
>
> It's the new workstation that doesn't work with my network, (sadly
> the old workstation linux SSD is unreadable so I can't copy the
> settings).
>
> When I try and configure a printer on my local machine using the GUI
> tool it autodetects the server raw printer and I think tries to
> install a driver on the server, which doesn't work of course.
>
> John
If the printer works on the server, it should Just Work(TM)

I regularly print to either of the 2 printers connected to this box, so
here is my local cupsd.conf:
LogLevel warn
SystemGroup lpadmin root your_login_name
Group sys your_login_name
User lp your_login_name
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On <-this is defaulted to off

There is more but the above line should be all you need to change.  From
the looks of it, just that on all machines would seem to be sufficient as
I just noted I don't have a client.conf on any of these machines.

You might have to sudo to edit that

I can see, and use both printers from either of the shops machines.  And I
don't have an FQDN in use except in the individual machines /etc/hosts
file.

FWIW in the host file, localhost is confined to the usual 127.0.0.1
address, all the machines have an identical hosts file that contains a
several line listing in the form of:
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.xx.3	coyote.coyote.den	coyote
192.168.xx.1	router.coyote.den	router
192.168.xx.4	shop.coyote.den		shop
192.168.xx.5	lathe.coyote.den	lathe
192.168.xx.6	lappy.coyote.den	lappy

where the xx is the local subnet in use.
No ipv6 within 200 miles of me.

No clue if this will help John, but it is working here with 3 boxes
running 10.04.4 LTS.

> At 22:56 07/08/2014, you wrote:
> >On Thursday 07 August 2014 09:25:00 John Lawton did opine
> >
> >And Gene did reply:
> > > I have a small office with a Linux server which has a USB printer
> > > installed and a new workstation with a fresh install of Kubuntu
> > > 14.04. The server is configured using Samba as a Windows printer
> > > with a RAW driver. My Windows clients work fine using their local
> > > printer driver for this printer (a Dell 1320c).
> > >
> > > The workstation detects the raw printer on my Linux server, calling
> > > it a 'Remote Printer'
> > > The problem is that the workstation Settings, Printer GUI tool,
> > > Configure button won't allow a printer driver to be added when
> > > using the Remote Printer on the server - the Driver selection is
> > > greyed out.
> > >
> > > I have managed to install a suitable Linux printer driver on my
> > > workstation which works if I test it by plugging the printer in as
> > > a local USB printer.
> > >
> > > (BTW, I've tried using http://localhost:631 the local CUPS server
> > > which doesn't help either, sending me off to the Linux server CUPS
> > > server, aargh!).
> > >
> > > So how should I configure my workstation to use its driver PPD file
> > > with the network printer? Currently it 'thinks' the network printer
> > > has a driver on the server, but as it is a RAW printer, printing
> > > fails.  A command line method might be required unless the GUI tool
> > > functionality can be unlocked :)
> > >
> > > John
> >
> >You will need a client.conf file on the server that allows your
> >workstations IP or FQDN access to that printer, and you will need to
> >look at the local cups.conf and enable browsing, which will enable
> >localhost:631 to find and use that printer.

I now believe the above to be bogus.  It was required at one time, but
apparently not any more.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)