[cups] Discoverability of page-border

Anatoly Vorobey avorobey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 00:54:57 PST 2014

Hello,

I recently spent some time trying to find out how to do N-Up printing with
a border around each logical page on Linux (Ubuntu).
Belatedly, after solving the problem with third-party packages, I found out
that the functionality was available with the -o page-border
option to lp(1).

I did read the man page for lp(1) while looking for a solution, and it
lists -o number-up, but not page-border or other n-up options I found
in the CUPS manual. And the common GTK+ printing dialog used by major
applications doesn't have a page-border option either. Are
these choices deliberate - I mean, did people consider and intentionally
decide not to list these options on the manpage, or provide them
in the GTK UI, or is it this way just because nobody got around to it?

I know the solution now, but I guess I'm worried about its discoverability.
I didn't think of reading the CUPS manual because I assumed that
common options would be listed in the manpage. Other Linux users might not
be aware that CUPS exists at all - for them printing just works,
except when they need to draw a border.

Thanks,
Anatoly Vorobey.

Anatoly Vorobey, avorobey at gmail.com