[cups] PPD's-less Postscript Duplex printing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 18 01:26:43 PST 2014

Hello,

On Feb 14 14:09 Smith, Ed wrote (excerpt):
> we decided several years ago to go with all raw printing
> (no PPD's or foomatic), and require all of our printers
> to have the post script option installed and running.
> Recently, a business need for duplex printing in this
> environment has arisen. I have zero intention of introducing
> any PPD's. My question- where is the best opportunity to
> introduce a duplex command code in our environment's print
> event stream?

For duplex printing in your particular case you need to modify
the PostScript printing data stream and insert the right
(possibly printer model specific) PostScript code snippet
that makes your PostScript printers print in duplex mode.

To modify the printing data stream in your case, I recommend
adding a so called "System V style interface script".

With such an interface script it is no longer "raw",
see "/etc/cups/interfaces/" versus "raw" in the
"The Filter (includes the Driver)" section at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

For a general example how that could be done, have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner