[cups] Restarting print jobs

Scott Hallenbeck shallenbeck at clacorp.com
Thu Jan 16 08:07:55 PST 2014

Hello All,
I have a question about how to solve and issue quickly and easily.  Our company uses CUPS as a primary printserver to over 2000 printers across the US and even some in the UK.  Normally everything works flawlessly, however last night I ran into a strange issue.  For some reason, a bunch of jobs on 1 of the 3 CUPs servers ended up in a 'Stopped' state, about 120 jobs altogether. Going through the :631 gui I could easily restart the jobs that were stopped and they started printing without issue.  Why they stopped, I am not sure, but that's a separate issue.

I was attempting to restart these jobs through the command line using something like "lp -H resume -i xxxx"  but this did not seem to have any effect on the jobs.  Also, I could not find a way to issue a 'resume' to ALL current jobs in the queue.  Does anyone know of a way to do this, and make jobs that are 'stopped' start?

I have considered a script to find these jobs, the parse the list and issue the command like above, but as I said '-H resume' did not seem to have an effect.  There has to be and easier way to accomplish this.  Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!
Scott Hallenbeck
CLA Systems Administrator