[cups] [#NHK-253-64130]: Secondary Mac Print Server

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Wed Jan 22 04:24:09 PST 2014

Hi Matt,

In my faculty we have more than 30 Canon ImageRunner and ImageRunner Advance MFPs of various models. We also use PaperCut. and a Linux CUPS server

We complained to Canon about the poor performance of the UFRII drivers on MacOS X and Linux (which don't understand fonts so vectorize every single character in a document and spend an eternity rasterizing on the printer) and were able to get the Postscript upgrade kits cheaply for the our UFRII only printer. I'm not familiar with CodeHost Linux drivers which are not available outside North America.

Canon provides a PPD .dmg file bundle for MacOS X (which we copy the PPDs to a Linux CUPS server) , it was mentioned in an email below. The .dmg file I use is from :
   http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100267504.html

The PPDs work well and have all of the finishing options that we need. Main issues include:
- no pin option for secure printing.
- Doesn't have APDialogExtension lines in the PPDs for the custom Canon dialog boxes from the Canon MacOS X PS driver.
- Doesn't have the APPrinterIconPath in the PPDs for the custom Canon printer icon.

It is possible to use the custom Canon dialog boxes and Icon from the Canon MacOS X PS driver with a bit of modification to the plain driver free PPD files, but would involve having to install the Canon MacOS X PS driver as the APDialogExtension and APPrinterIconPath attributes don't support http/https URIs.

Cheers,
Doug