[cups] [UNKN] STR #4320: Strange problem with CUPS on a Linux (CentOS 5.10) LAN

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jan 22 05:34:41 PST 2014

At Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:56:12 -0500 Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> On Jan 14, 2014, at 7:55 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >> You can also setup raw queues on the client, or if you have a single server
> >
> > How are raw queues setup?
>
> Just set up queues with no PPDs; if you have already created a queue you can revert it to a raw queue with:
>
>     lpadmin -p printer -m raw

I expect that lpadmin will fail, since the /etc/ directory is on a read-only
file system -- I *cannot* use the 'normal' admin utilities it all *has* to be
done using a text editor...  CUPS pretty much sucks for this sort of
situation, esp. since the documentation does not really document how to admin
things that way.

Next question:

With a local printers.conf, I am now seeing two copies of the queues (the
'local' printers.conf version and the version picked up via network).  How do
I prevent this duplication.

Also, we have been getting errors relating to probably with file format
strangeness (nonsense about bad stream type, application/octect).  I'm
*guessing* because of the fact that I have queues to the server's ipp address,
but with PPD file at the same time.

At this point we have decided it is some sort of hardware problem and I am
going to swap the machine out, even though the machine is working just fine
otherwise.  We shall see if this works or not.  Next we will swap the network
cable.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com