[cups] Epson R200 Ink Levels

Ian Prideaux worzel at gmx.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 01:05:18 PDT 2014

Hi All,

This is getting rather fragmented, so I'm going to try cross posting to
all three lists, my apologies if you get multiple copies.

When my Xubuntu 14.04 (cups 1.7.2-0, libinklevel 0.8.0-1.1, escputil 5.2.10)

When I boot, I can print.
I can run system-config-printer, and it works, but I can't see the ink
levels, and I can't run the self-test page or the head cleaning. It says
that it submits the job, but nothing happens. Module usblp is not
loaded, /dev/usb/lp1 doesn't exist, and escputil and ink don't work.

If I modprobe usblp, it loads, /dev/usb/lp1 appears and ink/escputil work.

After I send a normal print job, usblp is still loaded, but /dev/usb/lp1
has gone and the ink/escputil commands don't work.

If I "modprobe -r usblp; modprobe usblp", the /dev device comes back and
the commands work again.

If I unplug and reconnect the printer's usb cable, usblp loads and the
device comes back.

OK, so it's not a big deal to write a little wrapper:
sudo modprobe -r usblp && \
sudo modprobe usblp && \
ink -p usb -d /dev/usb/lp1
and I've written a little perlTk thing to do so.