[cups] Print to File Using CUPS

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jul 8 01:24:00 PDT 2014

Hello,

On Jul 7 12:04 Sy Bensky wrote (excerpt):
> I am trying to write a "Print to File" printer for CUPS.
> I wrote  a backend (C language) that reads from standard input
> and writes to a file in the spool directory.

At first glance it looks as if you re-invented something like CUPS-PDF,
see
http://www.cups-pdf.de/
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_to_PDF

> I will be configuring for an HP LaserJet (Generic PostScript Printer).

A HP LaserJet is not necessarily a generic PostScript printer.
For a more generic PostScript printer you may have a look at
http://www.openprinting.org/driver/Postscript/
and
http://www.openprinting.org/driver/Postscript1/

> I am not sure how to put the various pieces (filter, PPD and backend)
> together to install the "Print to File" printer.

Perhaps
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS