[cups] CUPS not sending correct user name

Thu Jun 5 00:58:34 PDT 2014

Am 04.06.2014 13:28, schrieb Helge Blischke:
> Looking into the sources (cups/usersys.c) reveals that to evaluate the
>  user name
> to use the USER environment variable is checked first. The "User foo"
> directive
> in client.conf is only taken into account if the USER environment
> variable
> is not set or does not match the current UID. So you need, I think, to
> undefine (or set to empty) the USER environment variable prior to
> executing
> a print command.

Thanks for your reply!

That is real weird to my understanding. $USER is almost universally set
and unsetting it can be problematic. I took a look at the source file
you mentioned and noticed it checks the environment variable CUPS_USER
first, (line 855 of current 1.7 branch). Setting this variable does the
trick and printing works now!

So, thanks a lot!

Florian