[cups] can cups share an ipp print queue?

Michael Pardee cups_mailing_list at open-sense.com
Wed Jun 11 09:47:09 PDT 2014

Is there some reason cups can't or won't share an ipp print queue?   I
would like client A to print to shared ipp print queue B which prints
to shared printer C.  I understand that it might be considered
redundant since client A could just print directly to printer C, but I
have a particular use in mind involving a print release system, and I
can think of some other scenarios in which it could be useful.

When I try to make an ipp print queue shared cups silently changes it
back to not shared.  When I do it through the system-config-printer
gui and check the "shared" box and then hit "apply" - it immediately
unchecks the box.  If I stop cups and edit /etc/cups/printers.conf and
change "Shared No" to "Shared Yes" and start cups, after the next
restart it has changed the entry back to "Shared No".

I turned the debug level to debug2 but I don't see anything in the
logs related to sharing.

Here is the printers.conf entry for (attempted) shared ipp print queue B:
<Printer queue-b>
Info queue-b
DeviceURI ipp://localhost/printers/printer-c
State Idle
StateTime 1402412628
Type 6
Accepting Yes