[cups] Setting to keep jobs forever until printed?

Nick Rahl nrahl at aquagear.com
Wed Jun 11 17:43:19 PDT 2014

After migrating to a new new server running a new CUPS (1.7) it appears
that some (but not all) jobs are being discarded when the printer is off.

We've been unable to figure out a pattern to which jobs are dropped, but
have determined that dropping only occurs when the printer is off.

It is a network printer with a socket:// URL.

I read through the manual and it seems there are retry policies, maximum
jobs, maximum memory, and several other settings, but I can't tell from
watching the logs which one is causeing jobs to drop, and many of the
settings aren't in the config file at all, so I assume the default is
being used. I don't want to try setting a bunch of settings without
knowing which is the right one to change.

What are the approriate settings to keep all jobs forever, until
printed, so that jobs simply wait as long as they need to for the
printer to be powered up again?

Thanks,
Nick