[cups] Printed output has umlaut instead of capital P

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jun 27 00:59:04 PDT 2014

Hello,

On Jun 26 22:12 Peter Flynn wrote (excerpt):
> This is a weird one. I'm just about to print a very long document (a
> thesis), and I printed a selection of test pages first.
> After five pages, all capital P characters are substituted with an
> umlaut (diaeresis) character (?).

In general it is not CUPS itself that converts the original data
that your application had submitted as print job to CUPS.
Actually CUPS calls various "external" programs that do the data
conversion, see in particular "The Filter (includes the Driver)" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

When different CUPS versions in different Linux distribution versions or
even in different operating systems make a difference in the appearance
of a printing output, the usual reason is not CUPS itself but that
different Linux distributions or operating systems use different
"external" programs (or different versions of the "external" programs)
to do the data conversion.

I didn't check your further detailed information (simply because
I don't know about printing and fonts in a LaTeX environemt).

But I like to point to possibly helpful info how to debug the issue:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue

I think what first and foremost should be done is to check
whether or not that "P characters substitution" is already in
the original data that your application(s) submit to CUPS, see
"To get what the application submits to CUPS do the following:" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue

When you display that original printing data with Ghostscript you
may see Ghostscript messages about fonts in particular about font
substitutions when certain fonts that the document requests are
not embedded in the document. I am not at all an expert regarding fonts
but my gut feeling is that font substitutions may lead to the weird
character substitution that you notice - in particular when Ghostscript
shows font substitutions after five pages. But when you don' see
Ghostscript messages about fonts, it does not mean that everything
is perfectly right wirg the fonts - it only means that for Ghostscript
there is nothing to report about the fonts in your document.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner