[cups] Printed output has umlaut instead of capital P

Helge Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Fri Jun 27 02:38:57 PDT 2014

Hello Johannes,

Am 27.06.2014 um 10:08 schrieb Johannes Meixner:

> Hello Helge,
>
> On Jun 27 09:16 Helge Blischke wrote:
>> please try to print your LaTeX generated PDF via the command line,
>> e.g.:
>> lp -d your_printer -o page-rages=1-20 your_pdf_file
>> and see if the issue persists.
>> If not, the culprit is not CUPS but the application you are
>> printing from.
>
> I fail to realize how that test could indicate if the culprit is CUPS
> or the application.
>
> Helge,
> could you provide some info what the idea behind this test is.

Well, from the original post I know
–	the CUPS version is 1.7.x
–	the system is a Linux
That means the cups-filters package from openprinting is (highly
probably) installed.
As the printer in questeion ( an HP K7100), if configured for use with
CUPS, uses
HP's HPIJS or HPLIP software, and the final content type then is
application/vnd.cups-raster.
That means, the filter chain used by CUPS with direct PDF printing is
PDF -> gstoraster or pdftoraster -> vnd.cps-raster -> foomatic-rip
using Ghostscript's IJS device

On the other hand, qpdfview or evince (probably) converts the PDF to
PostScript,
which will bi again converted to PDF by tne pstopdf filter of the cups-
filters package.

 From my experience, I have learned not to trust to-ps-conversions by
PDF viewers etc,
especially as LaTeX generated PDFs tend to use the same font with
rapidly changing
encoding vectors (in case of Type1 fonts, as indicated by the OP), so
that the issue
may well be due to conversion errors in the PDF viewer.

I hope I could make it clear.

Helge