[cups] Printed output has umlaut instead of capital P

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Fri Jun 27 06:35:09 PDT 2014

JM> But a test shows that the PDF printout data from evince
JM> is not the original PDF input file:

By design unfortunately.

Evince uses cairo for display and also to generate print jobs.

They have received several suggestions over the years to submit the
original file directly when printing PDF documents, but have refused
to do so.

In their defence, they support some other document formats which the
print systems probably do not, and thus require a print path through
cairo.  They prefer not to special case pdf.

I am pleased to find, however, that the current version of evince does
send postscript documents on to the print system almost unchanged.
My tests showed only the %%Page coments changed.

-JimC
--
-JimC