[cups-devel] Duplex booklet printing outputs back pages upside-down

Helge Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Mon Jun 30 06:55:32 PDT 2014

Am 30.06.2014 um 11:21 schrieb Perazim:

> This has been an ongoing problem for me since
> 2009. Not being able to solve this in the past, I
> resorted to printing the documents from windows.
> Now I need to get this resolved so that it works
> in Linux too.
>
> When I print a document formatted in duplex
> booklet, the rear sides of the pages print
> upside-down.
>
> I have tried on Xerox N2820, Canon iP4200, Canon
> iP4300 and recently Canon LBP6310dn printers, each
> with their manufacturers supplied drivers
> installed, all yield the same problems.
>
> I have tried printing from Adobe Acrobat,
> Openoffice, Libreoffice, all yield the same
> problems. I tried all variations of the booklet
> print setup options, no solution.
>
> I have, where supported, connected the printer via
> USB, Network, and also printed via a file. All
> yield the same problem.
>
> I am currently using Centos 6.5 but have used
> Fedora 12, 14, Debian 7.5.0 in the past with the
> same results.
>
> Seems like the only remaining possibility here is
> a Cups issue. Searching the forums showed me that
> this has been an ongoing issue and seems to have
> never been completely solved.
>
> I still have most of the above printers and a
> variety of systems to test them on so I can help
> out to find this bug if a developer can look into
> this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peraziim

As it isn't clear how LibreOffice or OpenOffice implement booklet
printing (depending on the selected printer's PPD),
I suggest to set CUPS to debug logging, do a test print, and post (an
URL to) the portion of the error_log
that contains the messages related to the respective job. I need
– the job options passed to CUPS
– the chain of filters for the respective Job
to guess what could be the cause of the issue.

Helge