[cups] Printing A5 PDF on A4

Christian Mahnke cmahnke at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:57:45 PDT 2014

Hi Helge,
> It depends ... :
> In case you use the cups-filters package from openprinting.org (which uses PDF-oriented workflow), the position option
> should work, as the pdftopdf filter honours this option (tested on an Ubuntu based box with cups-filgters 1.0.18).
> Note that the filter needs to know the media size, either by PDF default or specified by the media option.
> If not, i.e. you use plain CUPS, then the position option only works for printing images, so you are out of luck.

Thanks for your reply, my problem is that my application doesn’t know which paper tray is available, most of my printers are jus for on purpose and only have a A5 tray. They work as expected, but some are multi purpose printers which are loaded with paper size A4. Is it possible the ask Cups for the installed trays and then have another script either use a cups-filter or not?

Thanks,
Christian