[cups] Configure ipp authentification.

Fabian Hoffmann fabian.hoffmann at student.kit.edu
Sat Mar 29 16:05:01 PDT 2014

Dear all,

so hear is what I want to achieve, I hope I get some help here. I have a
printer connected to our server. Users that have an account on that
machine and are in the group Users should be allowed to print from their
PCs using IPP. So I image them adding the printer (on Windows, Mac,
Linux) like ipp://server:631/printers/Printer and then they should get
asked their username and password from that server. Is that even
possible, I could not find any information on this. If it is not I have
to use smb :(

I run CUPS 1.4.4 (on debian squeeze), but I can update if it is better
on a newer version. Find at the end the cupsd.conf I tried so far.

I appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Fabian Hoffmann

LogLevel warn

Port 631

Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

Browsing On

BrowseOrder allow,deny

BrowseRemoteProtocols

BrowseAddress @LOCAL

BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd

DefaultAuthType Basic

<Location />

  Allow @LOCAL

  # Restrict access to the server...

  Order allow,deny

</Location>

<Location /admin>

  Order allow,deny

  Allow @LOCAL

</Location>

<Location /admin/conf>

  AuthType Default

  Require user @SYSTEM

  Order allow,deny

  Allow @LOCAL

</Location>

<Policy default>

  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI>

  AuthType Default

  Require user @Users

  Order deny,allow

</Limit>

  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>

AuthType Default

Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow

  </Limit>

  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>

  AuthType Default

  Require user @SYSTEM

  Order deny,allow

    </Limit>

  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>

    AuthType Default

    Require user @SYSTEM

    Order deny,allow

      </Limit>

  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>

      AuthType Default

      Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM

      Order deny,allow

        </Limit>