[cups-devel] Chaining backends.

Sharon Dvir sharondvir at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue Mar 18 01:37:31 PDT 2014

Hi, I was tasked with finding a way to use an accounting and quota
system alongside cups.
>From what I have gathered, I can either write a backend that will parse
DeviceURI and manually call another backend to handle printing (after
the accounting part), or output it to stdout and hope it would work.
I believe that thats the Papercut way. correct me if im wrong. I prefer
to avoid this duplication of work, cups probably works better than what
I would come up with.

Or, patch cups to handle more than one backend, sequentially, like
filters work.
(Again, correct me if I'm wrong and chaining backends already works well.)
No duplication of work. I think it's better design.
Downside here is that we don't want to maintain our own patches
separately for long.

Will the cups community be interested in such a patch?
If others need it and it's likely to be merged, we would probably send a
patch.
Thanks guys.