[cups] compression=gzip between cups 1.5 and 1.4

Steve Bergman sbergman27 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 23:23:43 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm having issues with "compression=gzip" after a server upgrade. I have
a server running CUPS 1.5 set up with no ppd's sending jobs to a remote
CUPS 1.4 server, which uses the default postscript ppd's for all the
printers at that location. The client side is using compression=gzip.
This configuration had been working fine with my old CUPS 1.3 client.
(And in fact it still works if I print from that machine.) However, now
when I print from the 1.5 client, I see no evidence in the logs on
either side that any compression or decompression is getting done.
gziptoany never shows up. But I also send ascii text documents to the
printers using lpr -l. These documents are sent compressed, and show up
gzipped in the remote /var/spool/cups queue. And they never get
uncompressed. The remote 1.4 server just sends the compressed data right
to the printer with socket: without any other processing.

So it looks like the 1.5 client is only compressing raw jobs and the 1.4
server is not decompressing.

Did something significant change with respect to this option between 1.3
and 1.5? And what is the correct way to set this up?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

-Steve Bergman