[cups] unable to open file | permission denied

Evan Cooch evan.cooch at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:35:21 PDT 2014

A quick search tells me I'm running into a fairly common problem, but
said search also shows there is a real paucity of general solutions/fixes.

I'm running CUPS 1.4.2 under RHEL 6.x. Added a printer (Ricoh Aficio)
using vendor-supplied PPD.  However, whenever I try to print  a (almost
exclusively PDF) file (either as root, or allowed user), the print job
gets dumped into /var/spool/cups, and I get an error message of the
following type:

/"Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00034-001" - Permission denied"

/Permissions on /var/spool/cups are

drwx--x---.  3 root  lp    4096 May 15 11:54 cups

If I look in /var/spool/cups, the file (d00034-001) is there, with the
same owner (root) and grp (lp)

ps -aux | grep cups

shows its running as root.

More tellingly, perhaps (although I don't know what this has to do with
'permissions') is that in /usr/var/cups/error_log, I see the following

Cannot process "<STDIN>": Unknown filetype

Taking that as a clue, I tried printing from the command line:

lp test.pdf

Error now is

stopped: "Empty print file".

At this point, I'm out of options for 'self-help' based on my limited
knowledge of CUPS.

Any advice/suggestions/pointers to the obvious appreciated.