[cups] Windows bypasses cups drivers

Maarten Suetens suetens.maarten at gmail.com
Mon May 19 00:32:51 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to enforce grayscale printing at the company I work
at through cups. I have added the printer (sharp mx2600n) to the cups
server using the ppd file and on the web interface i set the color mode
to black & white.

When i print from the cups server(CentOS 6.5) it does use the grayscale
and when i add the printer in Windows using generic postscript drivers
it also enforces the grayscale correctly. But the problem is that the
generic PS drivers does not support duplex printing.  When i add the
printer to Windows using printer specific PS driver, the settings
configured on the server are completely ignored and prints are being
made in full color.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Maarten