[cups] Windows bypasses cups drivers

Maarten Suetens suetens.maarten at gmail.com
Mon May 19 08:33:28 PDT 2014

Hello Alex,

I have a printer-specific driver installed on the server and set the
color mode to black/white using the web interface. When i install that
printer in the Windows client (through IPP) using a generic postscript
driver the grayscale works.
We only want to enforce grayscale on our users so printing duplex should
still be available, but this generic PS driver does not allow duplex
printing.

So, i tried installing this same printer(with grayscale enabled) in the
same client, only this time using printer specific PS driver so the
users can still print duplex if they wanted to. Now the problem arises
that grayscale is no longer enforced, i read this is due to the printer
PS driver produces final printer specific data that is then forwarded
"as is" to the printer device.

My question is basically whether i can make cups re-evaluate the PS job
it gets from the windows client so that the duplex option coming from
the windows driver is kept and the grayscale option from the server
would be applied.

Thanks for taking an interest and kind regards,
Maarten