[cups] [Brother MFC-8480DN] Printing Slow

Stephan Graf st.graf at fz-juelich.de
Tue May 27 04:01:08 PDT 2014

Hi!
I am not sure, if it is the same issue, but in 2011 I investigated the
printing from CUPS to an HP2055. It took a couple of minutes to print a
scanned file (in PDF format).
Then I used an different PPD
(http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html).
the result was, that the printing was quit fast (10-20 seconds).
When I took a closer look to the difference between the original and the
new (HPLIP) PPD, I found this line:
        *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 hpcups"
This is the reason. CUPS will translate the PDF/PS via the hpcups filter
to an raster format file (HPGL?? I am not sure).

My conclusion was, that the HP Postscript interpreter is doing a bad job
and the solution is, that the CUPS Server has to do it (using hpcups
filter).

Greetings,
Stephan

On 05/27/14 04:17, Emiliano Vazquez wrote:
> Hi Guys i'm a newbie on CUPS. i'm reading a lot but i can't find a
> solution.
> At this moment i have a Ubuntu Server 14.04 64bits running CUPS 1.6.2.
> This printer is a network printer with IP address 10.0.0.10
>
> I install the printer from web http://127.0.0.1:631 the printer is
> visible to this host and is installed as
> dnssd://Brother%20MFC-8480DN._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
> When i send a test print i have to wait as least 10 seconds to see the
> any test on my hand.
> I try this connections:
> http://10.0.0.10:631/ipp
> lpd://10.0.0.10:631/ps
> lpd://10.0.0.10:631/BINARY_P1
>
> The problem get worst when i send a pdf document to print. if i send a
> pdf with only one page CUPS stay waiting for 5 minuts and then send to
> printer.
>
> I install ppd from:
> * Brother Home Page
> * Ubuntu Repositories
> * Drag and drop from Windows XP running OK this printer.
> Always the ppd is recognized as  Brother MFC-8480DN BR-Script3
>

> I really don't know how to debug this.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Emiliano.

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH