[cups] Only able to print from CUPS web interface ("filter failed" error otherwise)

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Nov 6 01:19:55 PST 2014

Mario,

> Am 05.11.2014 um 22:20 schrieb Mario Sanchez Prada <mario at endlessm.com>:
>
> Hi Helge,

>    Started filter gs (PID 3442)
>    Started filter pstops (PID 3443)
>    GPL Ghostscript 9.07: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
>    Page = 595x842; 10,14 to 586,833
>    slow_collate=0, slow_duplex=0, slow_order=0
>    This document does not conform to the Adobe Document Structuring
>from this log file it seems that the filter „bannertopdf“ writes garbage to the output
so that Ghostscript (called from the pdftops filter?) crashes.
Unfortunately the error messages that ghostscript writes (I know gs well enough
to know that gs *does* write error messages) are not written to the error_log (a quirk
of the filter, I think), so that further diagnosis is not possible.

I tried to reproduce the issue on an Ubuntu based Linux installation (Peppermint 3) but
on that system both the cups web interface and the Gnome printer utility produced
identical results – no error whatsoever.

Could you please try the following:
–	stop the printer
–	do a test print
–	save the file
	/var/spool/cups/d0xxxx-001
	(xxxx the jog ID)
_	release the printer (so that the job files or completes)
for both origins (web interface and system-config-printer)
and post the saved files.
As the filter configuration in both cases is the same, the issue must be due
to the contents of the input file.

Helge