[cups] Only able to print from CUPS web interface ("filter failed" error otherwise)

Mario Sanchez Prada mario at endlessm.com
Fri Nov 7 10:14:38 PST 2014

Hi

On 07/11/14 16:37, HÃ¥kon Alstadheim wrote:
> [...]
> That is my thinking, yes.
>
> I "fixed" my problems by moving a filter aside:
>      cd /usr/lib/cups/filter
>     mv pstoncapcpca pstoncapcpca_0
>
> and inserting a shell script in its place:
> --------/usr/lib/cups/filter: ---------
> #!/bin/sh
> export  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> exec /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoncapcpca_0 "$@"

I will try that on Monday (I'm leaving now), at least to know whether
I'm hitting the same issue or not.

> Which filter your printer uses will of course vary by printer, and
> perhaps by input.
>
> Remember to make the new file executable.
>
> The root cause in my case is a crappy half-assed closed-source linux
> driver by Canon :-( . Guess they are too embarassed by their code to
> make it public.

I'm also using a closed-source linux driver by Canon here, which is the
one that (I think) is generating the input for gs, more specifically in
pstocanonij... so perhaps we are indeed hitting the same problem here :(

Will let you know on Monday if I get more info on this.

Thanks a lot, and have a nice weekend,
Mario