[cups-devel] RFC: should cupsd fall back using default config values?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Nov 25 20:02:58 PST 2014

Johannes,

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 4:41 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
> I assume this behaviour is intentional but don't know why.
> What is the reason that cupsd fails to start in this cases?

Mainly because an empty config file is an error.

> I think when /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is empty or missing, cupsd could
> nevertheless start using the default config values as fallback
> because I think for the user there should be no difference between
> using a default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf versus when /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> is empty or missing - or what do I overlook here?

What should the default be?  The default for 2.0 and later needs to include the domain socket, which is what systemd supplies.

> I don't think it is a security issue if cupsd uses "Listen localhost:631"
> as fallback when the "Listen" value was not explicitly specified?

When run standalone as root, listening on localhost:631 might make sense, as would the default domain socket.  When run from systemd or launchd, we should probably only default to the sockets listed in the corresponding systemd/launchd config file.