[cups] Need help setting up ethernet printer

Jim Anderson jim_anderson at centurylink.net
Sat Oct 11 23:21:04 PDT 2014

I have a new brother 7640 all-in-one printer which I have connected to
my home network using an ethernet cable. I am mostly running Crunchbang
(debian) linux on my network, but I do have some windows PCs and Lubuntu
running at times.

I am running CUPS 1.5.3.

The good news
_________________

1) I can ftp to the printer and I have downloaded the configuration file
which I am attaching.

2) CUPS is up and running.

3) The all-in-one seems to be work, i.e. I can make copies with it.

The bad news
_________________

I have read the cups 'Using Network Printers' web page and I have
experimented, but I have not been able to direct anything to the printer
yet.

1) When I bring up CUPS at localhost:631, if I click on 'Find Printer
Drivers', I get the message:

      Not Found

    The requested URL /ppd.php was not found on this server.

    Apache/2.2 Server at www.cups.org Port 80

I assume I need a driver for the all-in-one, but since it is not
connected directly to a PC, maybe not. Do I need a driver or are the
printer protocols intended to provide the software interface to a
printer on the network?

2) When in my browser and I enter localhost:631/admin and then click on
'Find New Printers', my network printer is not detected.

What I would like to do
_________________________

I have a Dell 1130 printer connected to  a PC on my network and I can
send a file for printing to it by using the command:

      lp -d 1130 fileName

Assuming I name the all-in-one, '7460', I would like to be able to
direct a print job to it by using the command:

      lp -d 7460 fileName

How do I configure CUPS to see my 7460 printer and reference it as
'7460'. I don't really care what name I use, but '7460' would be ok.

Regards,
Jim Anderson
-------------- next part --------------

<<NETWORK CONFIGURATION>>

<Interface>                   WiredLAN on
<Node Type>                   Brother NC-8200h, Ethernet 10/100BASE-TX (Active)
<Node Firmware Ver.>          Firmware Ver.1.05 (12.10.02)(y)
<MAC Address>                 30-05-5c-01-73-84
<Node name>                   BRN30055C017384

<Active services>             BRN30055C017384
                              BINARY_P1
                              TEXT_P1
                              POSTSCRIPT_P1
                              PCL_P1
                              BRN30055C017384_AT

<Protocols>
 TCP/IP               Enabled               IPv6                 Disabled
 NetBIOS/IP           Enabled               APIPA                Enabled
 LegacyAuth           Enabled               WebBasedManagement   Enabled
 SNMP                 Enabled               Remote Setup         Enabled
 LPD                  Enabled               Raw Port             Enabled
 IPP                  Enabled               WebServices          Enabled
 Network scan         Enabled               PC fax receive       Enabled
 POP3/SMTP            Enabled               FTP                  Enabled
 TFTP                 Enabled               mDNS                 Enabled
 LLMNR                Enabled               LLTD                 Disabled

<IP Settings>
 IP Address                   192.168.0.230    (via DHCP)
 Subnet Mask                  255.255.255.0
 IP Gateway                   192.168.0.1
 Boot Method                  AUTO
 Boot Tries                   3
 IP Filter                    Disabled

 GW Timeout (sec)             5
 DNS Address Config           AUTO
 Primary DNS Server           192.168.0.1
 Secondary DNS Server         205.171.2.226

<NetBIOS Name>                BRN30055C017384
<WINS Address Config>         AUTO
<Primary WINS Server>         0.0.0.0
<Secondary WINS Server>       0.0.0.0

<Printer Mail Address>        brn30055c017384 at example.com
<SMTP Server>                 0.0.0.0
<SMTP Port>                   25
<POP3 Server>                 0.0.0.0
<POP3 Port>                   110

<mDNS Service Name>           Brother MFC-7460DN

<WebServices Name>            Brother MFC-7460DN [30055c017384]

<Ethernet Link Mode>          Auto
<Ethernet Link Status>        Link OK, 100baseTX FDX  #Link drops=0

<Network Statistics>
Packets Received           1354
Bad Packets Received          0
Receiver overruns             0