[cups] Configuring Brother 7460 network printer

Jim Anderson jim_anderson at jjajava.com
Fri Oct 24 06:56:51 PDT 2014

I am following previous mail about trying to get my Linux network to see
the Brother 7460 All-In-One printer I have connected via ethernet.

I looked at the file /etc/cups/printers.conf and the following lines appear:

    19 </Printer>
      20 <Printer brother>
      21 Info brother
      22 DeviceURI ipp:192.168.0.230
      23 State Stopped
      24 StateMessage Unable to locate printer ''!
      25 StateTime 1413064709
      26 Reason paused
      27 Type 4
      28 Accepting Yes
      29 Shared Yes
      30 JobSheets none none
      31 QuotaPeriod 0
      32 PageLimit 0
      33 KLimit 0
      34 OpPolicy default
      35 ErrorPolicy stop-printer
      36 </Printer>

It looks line snmpd is detecting the printer, but line 24 indicates
there is some kind or problem locating it. Does anyone know what could
cause this type of message to show up and how to fix it?

Jim A.