[cups] PDF printing postscript jibberish

Chris Coleman c at chriscoleman.com
Tue Oct 28 16:33:34 PDT 2014

So, this remains an issue. I am trying to move off of the ubuntu 12.04/cups
1.5.3 server and on to a newer ubuntu14.04/cups 1.7.2 box but I continue to
randomly get the postscript jibberish output. This morning I printed a
number of files to all of our printers without issue (well, actually there
was an issue, but I'll come back to that below). A few hours later we sent
another 8 or so print jobs to a mixture of printers and 4 of the 8 jobs
printed without issue while the other 4 either printed a single page with a
postscript error or they printed a rather large stack of paper with random
characters throughout the stack. I looked at the page log for one of these
jobs and found this

PrintStation7 www-data 64 [28/Oct/2014:12:37:12 -0700] 1 1 - localhost
g_636794_1.pdf - one-sided

PrintStation7 www-data 64 [28/Oct/2014:12:55:52 -0700] 29 1 -
localhost g_636794_1.pdf - one-sided
PrintStation7 www-data 64 [28/Oct/2014:12:57:04 -0700] 30 1 -
localhost g_636794_1.pdf - one-sided
PrintStation7 www-data 64 [28/Oct/2014:12:57:39 -0700] 31 1 -
localhost g_636794_1.pdf - one-sided
PrintStation7 www-data 64 [28/Oct/2014:12:58:44 -0700] 32 1 -
localhost g_636794_1.pdf - one-sided
PrintStation7 www-data 64 [28/Oct/2014:12:59:12 -0700] 33 1 -
localhost g_636794_1.pdf - one-sided
PrintStation7 www-data 64 [28/Oct/2014:12:59:54 -0700] total 2814 -
localhost g_636794_1.pdf - one-sided

So it shows 33 lines (it was a 33 page pdf document) and then the last
line says "total 2814" and out of the printer came a stack of paper
that was
probably 2814 pages of random postscript jibberish.

Nothing obviously weird about these pdfs. They are pretty basic...
Ideas? How can I troubleshoot further? My sense is that one of the
filters is causing the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Chris